Elder Jordan Royal

Elder Jordan Royal
Jordan hugs big sister Kelli

Monday, August 6, 2012

Wallet Gone, But Miracles Abound



Somewhere out there in the vast Philippines horizon, a wallet was lost . . . but somehow key contents found and returned
            Well...I guess I don't have to tell you the story of how my wallet was found, but I'm glad that you found out earlier in the week than now.  I'll tell you the story anyway, but from my perspective.  After I emailed you guys again, I was really feeling down about it, so I went through a lot of praying and begging to Heavenly Father that someone honest would return my wallet and all of the contents.  I was surprised to get a text the next day from our zone leaders that said that my credit card and ATM card were found, but the wallet itself was gone.  I was just so relieved and grateful that I got those back, because I had very little money to last the rest of the month.  I guess the story is that a mother saw her child playing with my cards.  They ended up all the way in Camaling (a long way from where I left the wallet).  She took the cards from him and saw the American name on the cards and the only Americans she saw walking around were the missionaries, so she gave it to a member.  Then the member saw that my zone leaders were also at Camaling, so he gave the cards to them.  Not only am I grateful to Heavenly Father for having received my cards back, but that they were in fact found by an honest person.  Even though I lost my wallet with my cash and temple recommend :(, I'm so grateful that I was able to withdraw my support.  God really does watch over me.  Awesome miracle story of the week.  (There was only 400 pesos in the wallet, which translates to less than $10.00 US.)  (And Dad, I didn’t lose my driver’s license.  We turned those in at the mission home upon our arrival.  So, good news there.)

Jordan is grateful to have his debit/credit cards back
            Even though that was a great miracle, the rest of the week didn't go by so well.  It all started when we visited our good ol' recent convert, Jerome.  He was sick, so we gave him a blessing.  A couple of days later, I started having a really bad sore throat, which then turned into a cold.  I wasn't able to do much all this weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).  It was really rough.  Our work in the beginning of the week wasn't going well either, so we weren't able to accomplish all that much this week :(.  Being sick and not being able to work is just a terrible feeling.  I kept thinking about our investigators that we were supposed to be teaching all weekend.  Ugh.  Felt helpless.  However, I went to church yesterday and stayed for all of the three hours, but then went home because I was feeling dizzy and had a slight fever.  We had a good sacrament meeting though and our lesson with Bessie still went great!  Even though my nose was all stuffed up.  Her Baptismal Goal Date (BGD) is scheduled for September 1, but she thinks that's a little soon.  True.  It does seem pretty fast, but I'm not the one who picked the date.  That was the Spirit all the way.  We told her that it's just a goal and that she doesn't have to be baptized right on that date, but we told her that she'll be ready by that date if she continues to do the things we ask her.  We're only able to teach her once a week, which might be a little bit of a disadvantage, but she's a strong investigator.  Our other investigators, Ruben and Rechelle, came to church as well.  They're BGD is a week before Bessie's, but we weren't able to teach them at all this week, because I was sick on the days on the only days that they're available.  But, I guess the moral of the story is that I'm better now and that the Church is/always will be true. 
Two things: 1) There's a hole in the shoe; 2) It needs shining

            It was Elder iLayat's last full week this week, which was a bitter-sweet moment.  We became really close this transfer.  All of us in our house were close.  Even though he was only here for one transfer, the Mayantoc members became really close to him, too.  They threw him a Farewell Party on Saturday.  Everyone really appreciated all of the work that Elder iLayat did.  I could definitely see that.  He is a dedicated, hard working missionary that is an inspiration to everyone around him.  I want to have that kind of lasting impact on the people that I serve.  I want them to always remember my name and think: "That Elder Royal sure helped out with the Ward" or "Elder Royal was a great missionary."  I hear things like that all the time from members talking about certain missionaries that were in their area a year ago or 10 years ago.  Missionaries should always strive to "leave the area better than [they] found it" (Preach My Gospel).  That reminds me of a lesson that our MTC teacher gave about Nehor and his evil affects on so many generations.  The acts of one person impacts generations.  Elder ilayat (and also Elder McCormack) gave great acts of service to everyone that they came in contact with.  They will be missed for sure. 

            Even though our transfer announcements aren't until Wednesday, I already know that I am being called to serve as the new District Leader here.  The President sent his weekly letter with all of the "newly called" on it.  Elder Biggs is also now a new zone leader.  (haha Typical Elder Biggs - always leading the way.)   That's awesome for him.  Unfortunately for him, that means he is being transferred from Baler - the most coveted area in the mission (by the ocean).  Poor guy.  He was only able to enjoy being in Baler for only one transfer (haha).  The good news for me is that I am guaranteed to be here for at least one more transfer, perhaps longer, so I will get to see some of the fruits of our labors.  I have really come to love it here.
From back left: Jordan , E. iLayat, E. Dela Paz, E. Retaga - with family that came to see E. iLayat before his departure
            Happy Birthday Mom!!!!!  Like I said, I'm glad you got my birthday letter already :).  I'm sure it was awesome!  I love you so much!!  :)  Mahal ko kayo lahat!  Ingat

            Elder Jordan "Masakit Noon" Royal

No comments:

Post a Comment