Elder Jordan Royal

Elder Jordan Royal
Jordan hugs big sister Kelli

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hey Family! I’m Out Eight Months!!


            Yep, today is my eight month mark in the mission.  I' have to say that it seems to go by faster and faster each week.  We just got back from Sta. Ignacia a couple of minutes ago from setting our monthly goals for June.  Wow.  The year's almost halfway over.  Well, I guess I'll start now.
Jordan's zone and their classy pastel shirts

            The work was still a little rough this week, but it was probably one of the best days of my mission so far.  The entire mission went to the Angeles Stake Center for a mission conference with Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Twelve Apostles.  We arrived a couple of hours early so that we could talk and visit with all of the missionaries in the mission.  I was there for only about ten seconds before I was tackled by my MTC companion, Elder Brown.  It seemed like he got even bigger since I last saw him, but it was awesome.  Shortly thereafter, I met up with Elder Palmer, Sister Sharp, and Elder Biggs from the MTC, reunited again.  It was the first time I'd seen them in almost six months, so that was really cool.  We just talked about MTC experiences, our areas now, and shared other stories from the mission.  I'm really jealous of Elder Biggs right now, because he was about 5'10 or 5'11 when we got here, and now he's 6'1.  It was so weird seeing him so much taller - especially since I'm trying to get taller (ha).  But, Elder Biggs did it without even trying.  Lucky!!!!!  I visited other missionaries from my old zone and other missionaries I knew before we went inside to wait for Elder Nelson and President Martino to arrive.  We were instructed to read our scriptures before they arrived.  I decided to read Alma 5, because it's just an awesome chapter.  I forgot what verses they were, but a couple of them mention having "the image of God in [our] countenance."  I'd always read that in the past, without much understanding of what that meant.  After a couple of minutes of pondering, I had some ideas, but I still really wasn't sure.  My question, however, would soon be answered when I met Elder Russell M. Nelson.
Jordan (from left) and Elders Tuitama, Manalo and Philips
             We got seats in the back of chapel, which I thought was lame at first, because we were so far away from the pulpit.  However, my disappointment went away immediately when Elder Nelson came through the back door and we got to see him up close and personal.  We thought we heard a noise, so everyone's heads were turned to the door.  President and Sister Martino entered with Elder Nelson and a member of the Philippines Area Presidency.  So, the back row turned out to be awesome, because Elder Nelson walked right behind me, and I just felt such a powerful spirit.  He truly has “the image of God in [his] countenance.”  On the request of Elder Nelson, we all got to shake his hand.  Now, I didn't really see him do this to a lot of the missionaries, so I felt special/awesome when he said my name out loud as he shook my hand.  Seriously.  Having an Apostle of Jesus Christ look at you, shake your hand, and call you by name is pretty sweet.  That may be my only time I ever shake hands with an Apostle, so it was an incredible experience.  The member of the Philippines Area Presidency and his wife spoke before Elder Nelson.  They did great.  But, of course, Elder Nelson was just awesome. 

            Elder Nelson mostly talked about looking at the potential of our investigators, or the people that we meet, to be baptized and become like Heavenly Father.  Elder Nelson's knowledge of the scriptures is just incredible.  He started a Q&A with some of the missionaries, and the way he answered them were just simple but powerful.  He then said, "I know it hasn't been said, but there's a question that hasn't been asked yet, and that's concerning your families back home."  He then gave comfort to those missionaries who are the only members of the Church in their family and gave us the same promise that Christ did to Elder Thomas B. Marsh in the D&C.  I forgot the section, but it was about how are families will be protected and blessed from our service.  I just sat there amazed at how many missionaries’ prayers were just answered right there without them asking.  It's amazing how so in-tuned with the Spirit he really is.  I was just there to witness that power right in front of me. 
Lucky elders to eat at the Adonis home in Kalikid

            I've seen Elder Nelson two times now since I've been on mission and it's awesome.  I definitely left there with a different perspective about missionary work and my missionary service.  Wow.  O yeah.  Brad, I was able to meet Jojo and a couple of other members here that still remember you, so it was awesome meeting them.  The zone leaders in Angeles told me that there are still people here that talk about you, because one of the zone leaders is also from Vegas.  Apparently, one of your converts is the ward missionary leader there, so that's an awesome blessing from your service right there.  I don't know his name, but I can't wait to meet him one day.
Jordan's MTC District Reunited in Angeles
            Not a lot to say about the area right now.  It's rough, but at least we have a baptism at the end of June, so that's definitely something.  I think that's about it for me.  I hope I'm not forgetting anything.  Oh!  Happy late Birthday Kambria!  :)  I'm sure that it was great.  Congrats to Jesse on his return home from Brazil.  Hard to believe he’s back!  Wow.  Alright.  Well, mahal na mahal ko kayo.  ingatz to ya.

            Elder Jordan Royal

A Philippines Rainbow Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment