Elder Jordan Royal

Elder Jordan Royal
Jordan hugs big sister Kelli

Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day!!


            Hello once again.  Typhoons are coming in pretty fast, so it has been raining all week.   Today is actually the first time that I've seen the sun for awhile.  Anyway, this week will be the last full week of transfers....already.  Elder Timbas only has seven days left before he goes home.  I'm just wondering who my next companion is going to be, or if I will train (patay).
Jordan here displays a Book of Mormon key chain

            This week pretty much went by like every other week here in Mamonit.  We have been struggling to make progress.  We did have another interesting OYM experience this week with a member of Inglesia ni Cristo.  Usually, you can't get in more than a couple of words with those people, because their church takes away their agency or something like that.  This tatay is a carpenter, so we were just talking to him about all the tables and other stuff that he was building.  We had talked to his son previously, but he wasn’t interested, so I was surprised when the tatay was talking to us.  Not only did he talk with us, but he actually talked to us about his church and stuff and told us to come by tomorrow to teach them.  I thought, and still think, it was a little suspicious for him to invite us over.  Either he is really interested in what we were saying or he just wants to set us up for a debate (something we do not engage in as missionaries).  I guess we'll see tomorrow if I'm right about the debate thing, because it's not like an Inglesia member to want to even converse with us.  We taught Jarome on Saturday, but he seemed a little upset, like something was bothering him.  He really didn't tell us what was wrong.  I hope that he'll tell us what's up by this week, because his baptismal interview is this Friday.  He's the only light and hope that we have in our area, so if he goes down, that would be very disappointing.  I really, really, really hope that it doesn't come to that. 

            We had Stake Conference in Sta. Ignacia yesterday, and it was awesome!  They had a broadcast from Salt Lake City just for the Northern Philippines with Elder L. Tom Perry presiding.  There were other speakers before him, and they did a really great job.  I don't remember the name, but the first speaker was really good.  He talked about pride and how most people only call upon the Lord during times of tragedy and then forget him later when times are good.  He used the example of Nephi and his family as they were on the ship towards the promise land.  Once everything was smooth sailing, that's when they quickly forgot "by what power they had been brought."  Of course they didn't repent until the Lord caused a storm to toss and turn the ship.  He used the Nephite nation in general as an example and also a present example from 9/11/01.  When that day happened, the churches were filled with people praying for the safety and well being of our country.  Then once everything was good, they forgot once again.  Elder Perry also had a special message to all fathers in the Church.  Some of the things that need to happen in order to have a happy family is for the father to love his wife and use his priesthood to guide the family.  It was a great conference.  Mom will like this part.  We went to the Zone Leader's house after for lunch and my small birthday package was there!  Yay!  The box was destroyed, but at least it was still there.  Apparently, one of the protein juice things that you sent me broke and leaked and spilled everywhere in the box.  I just don't have good luck with packages.  It's okay though, because everything else was fine, but just a little sticky.  (haha.)  I still don't know about the big box, but I'm sure I'll get it soon (hopefully).

We have had some difficultly successfully getting packages to Jordan . . . but this one survived (barely)
            On this Father’s Day, I want to thank you, Dad, for everything that you have always done and continue to do for our family.  I hope your Father’s Day was awesome.  Thanks for all the letters that you send me each week so I know what's going on over there in Vegas.  I always love reading those.  Thanks also for updating the blog and sending all of my mission letters.  Most importantly, thank you for being such a loving example to all of us in the family and to everyone else.  You are great for all that, and more.  Mahal kita. 

            Well, I think that'll do it for now.  I hope that everyone is doing well.  Mahal ko kayo.  Oh, I hope that everyone had fun in Reno this weekend!  :)  Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there! 

            Elder Jordan Royal

No comments:

Post a Comment