Elder Jordan Royal

Elder Jordan Royal
Jordan hugs big sister Kelli

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Seven Months and All's Well!

Editor's Note: We are putting a life sized cut out of Jordan together, but the actual picture we have of him apparently will not work.  So, we put a picture together of Jordan with his brother David's body, and one with his daddy's body.  Throughout Jordan's letter home, we are posting the three pictures.  See if you can identify WHO'S WHO.
___________
Here's Where's Jordan Entry No. 1

            Yep...I have reached seven months here in the mission so far, and it's gone by pretty fast, or REALLY fast.  We're already halfway done with this transfer!  I don't know what's going to happen next transfer, but I'm most likely going to stay with Elder Timbas for his last transfer or one of us is transferring, but probably not.  I'm probably going to be here for four in a half months also.  I've already almost been here for month (May 5), which is crazy!  Well, I want to be the first one this week to wish David a happy birthday on Thursday soooo.....Happy Birthday Bro!  Hopefully I beat Kambria and the rest of the family by saying it to you first - haha.  I was going to wait till next week, but I just felt like giving you a special boost for the week.  What better present to get for your birthday than a wife, di ba?  I also saw your guys's latest pictures that Dad sent me.  You guys look great!  Wish I could be there.  Oh wait, I will be there, but a little bigger than the last time you saw me (if Dad uses the Photoshop copy of my head on his body haha).  Speaking of, I love the cut-out idea!  haha  I can't wait to see how that'll look in a couple of weeks.  Oh, and of course Mother's Day is in a few weeks also!  Yay!  Mom, I really didn't get any new information about the call, but I'm probably going to just going to use our phone and call you guys, or you call, or whatever.  I'm also thinking about doing Skype, because it might be cheaper to just do that at an Internet cafe, but you need a skype account to do that, di ba?  Well, I guess I should just tell you about the week now - haha.

Here's Where's Jordan Entry No. 2
            The work was....alright this week.  We're in a pretty hard area since it's far away from our house.  The area's big, and sad to say...no one's really progressing except for our children investigators.  Ugh!  Saya naman!  It's also hard to find people that are available in their homes and also not busy.  It's hard to be a missionary sometimes, but I still remember a quote from a speaker at one of my first devotionals at the MTC: "The mission is not supposed to be a perfect experience, but a perfect learning experience."  I've found that to be very true.  I came from an area where we had a lot of success with baptisms, less actives returning, members working with us, etc.  But here, it's a little different.  I guess I needed to become a little more humble.  We still have a little bit of success here, but it's still a challenge.  One of our investigators, who was living with a less active, has been coming to church for over seven months and they just had their wedding on Saturday, so now she is now ready for baptism!  She will hopefully be baptized this month.



            Even though we had a rough week with the work, my testimony has grown tremendously this week as I've read the Book of Mormon.  I read all of Third Nephi and will start the Book of Ether this week.  The Book of Mormon is just amazing.  It's not just a book.  It’s another testament of Jesus Christ and is evidence of the love that God has for us.  There are just so many great things in there.  Mormon prophesies that those who believe in the Bible will also believe in the Book of Mormon (Mormon 8?) and Moroni explains why the Book of Mormon was written in the Egyptian language, "that the Lord may provide a means for translation" (last chapter of Mormon).  The Book of Mormon is true.  Why wouldn't it be?  We had a discussion with one tatay about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, and he claims that revelation is gone and that there will be no more of it.  I think people don't pray about the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith is because well...they’re tamad (lazy). Pretty bold to say, but it's true.  For many, they have the Bible, and that is all they will consider.  They do not want more revelations, because that takes too much work to actually read something and pray about it.  I wish they would simply have a desire to ask God if he loves them and provides revelation on the Earth today through living prophets and has provided the means for people to return to him (Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C, PofG).  I don't know.  It's just hard to for some to feel the Spirit and understand how much God truly loves them.  God prepares people for us to teach, but some are more prepared than others.  But God has promised that everyone will have a chance to hear and accept His Gospel.  That's their choice.  Our job is to valiantly work to provide them with opportunities, and share truth by the Spirit.

Here's Where's Jordan Entry No. 3
            On the other hand, we had a good Priesthood/Relief Society meeting yesterday.  Oh that reminds me...no Mom I'm not playing the piano in the ward and I don't know who has a Facebook that they update regularly.  Sorry - haha. So you guys may have seen the video already called, "To Turn the Hearts" in your Priesthood/Relief Society meetings, but if you haven't, you should watch it.  It's so awesome!  It's about this stake in Springfield, IL that tries to get all the members to do family history work and attend the temple regularly.  It was awesome to see the change in the lives of the members who were effected by this work.  Just an awesome experience.  It made me think about the people we teach on our missions who who will go to the temple and be sealed as a family. 

            We had two CSPs this week (Community Service Projects) in Mayantoc.  The first one was on Wednesday.  We went to a member's house and shoveled up some dirt and stuff and moved it to another part of their house.  I don't know what it was for, but we did it for them - haha.  I was doing most of the shoveling with Elder Mora, and it was a really hot morning.  I was dripping sweat everywhere and my flip-flops got so soaked with sweat that I was slipping when I walked.  We then had another CSP on Saturday with the Mayantoc members at their elementary school.  We spent about five hours sweeping up and gathering up all the dead leaves and burning them.  That was also a very tiring project. 

Here's Where's Jordan Entry No. 4
            Now, to answer a few questions.  Yes, I am very excited to hear about my birthday box.  There are shoes that I can buy here for 300 pesos (some I just found this week), so I could maybe do that until then.  As for ankle braces, I have an ace badge thing, but there's nothing to keep in place...so I would most likely want my volleyball braces if you can send them.  Elder Timbas is great.  He helps me a lot with the language, which is awesome.

            Well....I think that just about wraps it up for me.  I hope that you all have a great week and have fun.  Mahal ko kayo!  ingat!

            Elder Jordan Royal

No comments:

Post a Comment